The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Attacks on Iran are 'unlikely' says Tehran's military chief Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Attacks on Iran are 'unlikely' says Tehran's military chief

Iran has recently dismissed American calls for nuclear inspections [AFP]

Date of publication: 2 September, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Iran's military chief has said that even "unwise" leaders in the West would avoid a ground attack on his country as they know it would come at a huge cost.
Enemies are unlikely to attack Iran, particularly in a ground offensive, Iran's military chief said on Saturday.

The Islamic republic's top military man added that Tehran is sure that even "unwise" leaders in the West would avoid a ground attack as they know it would come at a huge cost, and potentially spill over into neighbouring states.

"In the remote case of an aggression (by enemies), this won't be on the ground because they would face brave warriors," Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted General Mohammed Baqeri, Iran's military chief of staff, as saying at an air defence exhibition.

"Thank God, even the unwise who lead world arrogance (the West)... can conclude that attacking the Islamic republic would entail heavy costs.

"Even if they would control the start of an aggression, they would not have a say about its end and they won't even be able to limit the war to Iran's borders," Baqeri added.

Baqeri's bold comments follow Tehran's recent dismissal of calls in the US for inspections of Iran's nuclear facilities.

President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that inspections are not required under the current nuclear deal struck between Iran and world powers.

The landmark nuclear accord, agreed under the presidency of Barack Obama, saw international sanctions eased in exchange for stringent controls on Iran's nuclear programme and closer IAEA inspections. 

However, despite the IAEA has repeatedly reporting that Iran is in compliance with the deal, US President Donald Trump has adopted an aggressive stance towards Tehran.

Following Iran's ballistic missile tests in February, US President Donald Trump said "nothing is off the table" in dealing with Tehran. The White House added that Iran was put "on notice" over the tests.

Last month, the US also imposed unilateral sanctions on Iran, saying that the ballistic missile tests violated a UN resolution related to the 2015 nuclear accord.

Most Popular

Read More