The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Eid ceasefire ends as fighting resumes in Tripoli: Libyan officials Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Eid ceasefire ends as fighting resumes in Tripoli: Libyan officials

Government of National Accord fights clash with Khalifa Haftar's froces in Tripoli [AFP/Getty]

Date of publication: 13 August, 2019

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The temporary calm granted by a two-day Eid al-Adha truce has ended in Tripoli as the two sides resume their fight for the capital.
Fighting around Tripoli between Libyan rogue general Khalifa Haftar's forces and government militias resumed on Tuesday, marking the end of a two-day truce enacted for the Muslim Eid al-Adha celebration.

Libyan officials said Tuesday that the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) led by commandar Haftar carried out airstrikes overnight on the southern outskirts of the Libyan capital.

Militias allied to the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli also shelled Haftar's forces in the area, the officials added.

On Saturday, both sides had accepted a UN-proposed truce during Eid al-Adha, which began Sunday.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to reporters.

Hafter's forces launched an offensive in April to capture Tripoli. The fighting has killed over 1,100 people, mostly combatants, and displaced more than 100,000 civilians.

The battle lines have changed little over recent weeks.

The ceasefire was not without altercations. Rocket fire hit Tripoli's sole functioning airport Sunday, violating the temporary truce.

Late Sunday a joint statement from the United Arab Emirates, the United States, France, Italy and the UK welcomed the UN truce for the Muslim holiday and said they were "ready to assist the UN mission in monitoring the observance of the truce and address any attempt to break it".

But the GNA blamed Haftar's forces for the attack against the airport, and for a separate alleged attack in the Soug al-Jomaa district of Tripoli.

"Haftar's militias have violated the truce twice," GNA spokesman Mustafa al-Mejii told AFP.

"The first time targeted a home in Soug al-Jomaa, wounding three civilians, and the second hit Mitiga airport," he added.

Libyan TV channels also reported exchanges of fire around the road to the closed international airport on Sunday.

The truce had come after UN envoy Ghassan Salame had already called several times for humanitarian ceasefires, without success.

The joint statement from the five countries urged the parties to use the truce to "pave the way for a sustainable ceasefire and a return to a constructive, inclusive dialogue" towards a "lasting political solution."

Libya has been mired in chaos since a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More