The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Dozens killed as Syrian regime intensifies Idlib attacks Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Dozens killed as Syrian regime intensifies Idlib attacks

Idlib is being attacked by the Assad regime [Getty]

Date of publication: 15 May, 2019

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Twelve have been killed, including six in Aleppo as the Assad regime continues its deadly assault on provinces in the country's northwest.

Twelve civilians were killed on Tuesday during the Assad regime's deadly assault on Idlib, including six slain when rockets hit the city of Aleppo, a war monitor said.

Syria's second city Aleppo is under the control of Bashar al-Assad's regime but it is located only a short distance from Idlib.

The regime and its ally Russia have intensified attacks on Idlib and neighbouring Aleppo, Hama and Latakia provinces despite a months-old buffer zone deal intended to shield it from any government offensive.

On Tuesday, six civilians were killed by "rocket attacks by jihadist groups" in a southern neighbourhood of Aleppo, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor.

State television confirmed six civilians had been killed in "terrorist" strikes, using the regime's terminology to refer to both militants and anti-regime fighters.

Since the regime recaptured it at the end of 2016, Aleppo has been sporadically targeted by militants or rebels, who still control territory west of the city.

On Tuesday, six civilians were also killed in regime aerial bombardments targeting insurgent areas of Idlib or northern neighbouring Hama province, the Observatory said.

Four of them were killed in the town of Jisr al-Shughur, said the Britain-based monitor.

The escalation has been the bloodiest since Russia and rebel-backer Turkey announced in September 2018 an agreement for a "demilitarised zone" in Idlib.

Under the agreement, the area's three million inhabitants are supposed to be protected by a buffer zone.

But between late April and May 9, bombardments in southern Idlib and northern Hama forced some 180,000 people to flee.

These displaced people have found refuge in areas further north, according to the United Nations.

In just over two weeks, 18 medical facilities have been forced to close in the area, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said on Monday.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More