The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Turkey says 'no need' to restart Syria offensive after US confirms Kurdish withdrawal Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Turkey says 'no need' to restart Syria offensive after US confirms Kurdish withdrawal

Erdogan made the comments after the Kurdish withdrawal [Getty]

Date of publication: 23 October, 2019

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
A US announcement confirming the withdrawal of Kurdish forces in Syria prompted Ankara to suggest there was no longer a need to restart its offensive.

Turkey said on Wednesday there was "no need" to restart its offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria, saying that it had been informed by the US that their withdrawal from the border areas had been "completed". 

"At this stage,  there is no need to carry out a new operation," the defence ministry said in a statement. A US-brokered deal had set a 120-hour deadline for Kurdish fighters' pullout from a proposed safe zone, which expired at 1900 GMT.

The comments came after Russia and Turkey agreed on Tuesday to ensure Kurdish forces withdraw from areas close to Syria's border with Turkey and to launch joint patrols. 

Erdogan hailed "a historic agreement" with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin after hours of talks between the two leaders over the conflict in Syria.

The agreement cements Russia and Turkey's roles as the main foreign players in Syria, after US President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of American forces from the country's north earlier this month.

"According to this agreement, Turkey and Russia will not allow any separatist agenda on Syrian territory," Erdogan said, addressing reporters alongside Putin after the talks in the Russian city of Sochi.

Erdogan had earlier announced the 150-hour deadline beginning on Wednesday for Syrian Kurdish YPG fighters and their weapons to be moved back 30 kilometres from the Turkish border.

"Within 150 hours starting at 1200 noon on October 23, YPG terrorists and their weapons will be removed to the depth of 30 kilometres and their ... positions will be destroyed," Erdogan said. 

  

He added that after the deadline, Turkish and Russian joint patrols would start in two zones stretching 10 km to the east and west of the area of Turkey's current Operation Peace Spring.

"All YPG terrorists in Tal Firat and Manbij will be removed outside this region, together with their weaponry," he said. 

Erdogan also said both countries would take necessary measures against "terrorist infiltrations" and create a "joint mechanism" to coordinate the agreement. 

Russia and Turkey have emerged as the main foreign players in Syria's conflict, with Moscow's position strengthened after US President Donald Trump announced this month he would be withdrawing American forces from the north of the country.

The announcement cleared the way for Turkey to launch a cross-border offensive on October 9 against the Kurdish YPG militia, viewed by Ankara as "terrorists" linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

The assault sparked Western outrage and accusations of betrayal from the Kurds, whose frontline fighters were crucial in the fight against the Islamic State group in Syria.

Despite being on the opposite sides of the Syria conflict, Turkey and Russia have been working together to find a solution to the war. 

Ankara says the YPG is a "terrorist" offshoot of the PKK, which has been waging an insurgency inside Turkey since 1984. The PKK is blacklisted as a terrorist group by Ankara, the United States and the European Union.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More