The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Saudi-led Yemen airstrike kills 'dozens of Houthis and commanders' Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Saudi-led Yemen airstrike kills 'dozens of Houthis and commanders'

Yemen's war has seen thousands killed in airstrikes [Getty-file photo]

Date of publication: 28 April, 2018

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
A Saudi-led airstrike on a ministry building in Yemen has killed dozens of 'Houthi fighters', including commanders, Riyadh has claimed.


Dozens of Houthi rebels, and at least two commanders, have been killed in a Saudi-led airstrike, Riyadh media reported Saturday.

Saudi Arabia's official al-Ekhbariya television said more than 50 Houthi fighters and two senior commanders will killed in Sanaa on Friday evening, without giving further details. 

Saudi-owned al-Arabiya television put the total of Houthi fighters dead at 38, and said the strike targeted an interior ministry building. 

The Houthis confirmed an air strike on Sanaa but did not say how many had been killed.

The strike came hours ahead of the funeral of leading Houthi political figure Saleh al-Sammad, who was killed last week in a Saudi-led coalition strike. 

In 2016, Saudi Arabia faced widespread criticism after an airstrike on a packed hall for the funeral of a leading Houthi figure, killing around 150 mourners.

The strike comes as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is due to land in Riyadh for talks with Saudi leaders on the Yemen conflict.  

The Yemen conflict is widely seen as a proxy war between regional titans Iran and Saudi Arabia. 

Saudi-led alliance entered the Yemen was in March 2015 to support the internationally-recognised government.

At least 10,000 people have died during the war, the vast majority civilians.

Yemen now stands at the brink of famine, largely due to a Saudi-led blockade on Yemen, which has only been partially lifted.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More