The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Saudi-led coalition airstrike on Yemen film set kills two Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Saudi-led coalition airstrike on Yemen film set kills two

The Saudi-led coalition has been waging an offensive against the Houthis for three years [Getty]

Date of publication: 13 April, 2018

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
A Saudi-led coalition airstrike hit the set of a Houthi Ramadan TV series in Hodeidah on Thursday, killing two people.

An air raid struck the set of a rebel TV series in Yemen on Thursday, killing at least two people, a security source and a rights activist said.

The strike on Marawiaa district in the western province of Hodeidah came as a cast and crew were filming a Ramadan series for Houthi rebel-run Al-Masirah television, they said.

The set was on a farm that had belonged to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, a one-time rebel ally who was gunned down by the Houthis in December after their partnership collapsed.

A Yemeni photographer at the site of Thursday's raids said the victims were the series' set designer and finance director.

Multiple military vehicles, including two tanks, were on the property at the time of the attack, the sources told AFP.

Read more: Yemen in 2018: Deepening war or nearing peace?

The security source said Thursday's attack was one of a string of strikes in Hodeidah province, which he attributed to Saudi-led forces.

"We take this report seriously, it will be investigated," a coalition spokesman told AFP, saying it would be "inappropriate to comment further" while the probe is ongoing.

A Saudi-led coalition has been battling the Houthis, seen by Riyadh as Iranian proxies, since 2015. 

The coalition had previously targeted Saleh's residence in Sanaa when the strongman was alive and allied with the Houthis.

The Yemen war has created what the United Nations has called the world's largest humanitarian crisis.

It has killed nearly 10,000 people since 2015, when the coalition joined the government's fight against the Houthis. 

While all sides in the war stand accused of failing to protect civilians, the Saudi-led coalition has drawn particularly harsh condemnation from international rights groups over civilian deaths.

It was added to a UN blacklist last year for the killing and maiming of children. 

The Houthis have in recent months intensified missile strikes on Saudi Arabia, declaring this week that 2018 would be the "year of ballistics".

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More