The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Qatar slams Saudi-led bloc statement as 'contradictory' after it doubles down on demands Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Qatar slams Saudi-led bloc statement as 'contradictory' after it doubles down on demands

Qatar has said that lifting the blockade is a non-negotiable condition before talks [Getty]

Date of publication: 31 July, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Qatar's foreign minister has slammed a statement from the four countries boycotting Doha, accusing the Saudi-led bloc of "contradicting" itself.

Qatar's foreign minister has slammed a statement from the four countries boycotting Doha, accusing the Saudi-led bloc of "contradicting" itself.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said on Sunday that the alliance had no clear vision and was violating international laws.

On Sunday, the foreign ministers of the four Arab states said that any compromise in the crisis is contingent on Doha agreeing to demands already laid out after meeting in the Bahraini capital Manama.

"The comments made by the ministers have been unclear and show that they are not moving along a certain path, there are always contradictions," Sheikh Mohammed told Al Jazeera Arabic.

"The result of this meeting has been that a set of contradictions have been added to the previous contradictions," he said.

He added that Saudi-led bloc was continuing "a policy of being refusing to compromise and admit that the blockade is illegal".

After a meeting in Cairo earlier this month, the Saudi-led group urged Qatar to commit to "six principles" on combatting terrorism, instead of the 13 demands they had initially made.

They also said that shuttering Qatari-funded media outlets such as Al Jazeera, which was one of the principle demands, might not be necessary.

Sheikh Mohammed denied accusations made by Saudi Arabia that Doha was attempting to "internationalise" the hajj, accusing Riyadh of "politicising" the annual Muslim pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain have been boycotting Qatar since June 5, accusing it of backing extremist groups and of ties to Iran, in the region's worst diplomatic crisis in years.

Doha has categorically denied the accusations accuses the Saudi-led bloc of imposing a "siege" on the tiny emirate.

A defiant Qatar has rejected the list of 13 demands from the coalition, which included shutting Al Jazeera, downgrading diplomatic ties with Iran and closing a Turkish military base.

International diplomatic efforts led by Kuwait and involving the United States and Turkey have failed to end the crisis.

Qatar has said that lifting the land, sea and air blockade is a non-negotiable condition before engaging in any dialogue with its neighbours.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More