The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Qatar demands 'very difficult' to meet: US Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Qatar demands 'very difficult' to meet: US

Tillerson met the Qatari Foreign Minister on 14 February in Washington [AFP]

Date of publication: 26 June, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The US Secretary of State issued a statement on Sunday, calling for dialogue and a 'lowering of rhetoric' in the ongoing blockade of Qatar.

The United States Secretary of State said on Sunday that the list of 13 demands imposed on Qatar would be "very difficult" to meet, in an official statement discussing the ongoing blockade.

Rex Tillerson said that the demands , issued by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt, were being considered and called for a "lowering of rhetoric".

"While some of the elements will be very difficult for Qatar to meet, there are significant areas which provide a basis for ongoing dialogue leading to resolution," Tillerson said in a statement.

"A productive next step would be for each of the countries to sit together and continue this conversation."

Tillerson had called for a specific list of "reasonable" demands earlier in the week.

"We understand a list of demands has been prepared and coordinated by the Saudis, Emiratis, Egyptians and Bahrainis," US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said.

"We hope the list ... will soon be presented to Qatar and will be reasonable and actionable."

The president of Iran also gave his opinions on the blockade on Sunday, saying that it was "not acceptable" for them.

"We believe that if there are disagreements among countries of the region, pressure, intimidation, and sanction are not good ways for settle the disagreements," President Rouhani said.

The president said his country's support for Qatar was continuous and it could continue to use its land, waters and air-space to break the ongoing "siege".

Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani replied with the statement that "relations between Iran and Qatar have always been developing and powerful."

Turkey's President Erdogan said the blockade was unlawful in his opinion, adding that the demands went "too far".

"We welcome (Qatar's position) because we consider the 13-point list against international law," he said.

The list of demands, which have not been published but have been leaked via AP, includes the closure of a Turkish military base in the emirate and the shuttering of the media outlet, al-Jazeera.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More