The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Many feared dead in huge London tower block blaze Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Many feared dead in huge London tower block blaze

The blaze engulfed the 24-storey tower block [Anadolu]

Date of publication: 14 June, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
At least six people have been confirmed dead with dozens more injured as firefighters battled an overnight blaze at a high-rise apartment block in West London.
At least six people have been confirmed dead with dozens more injured as firefighters battled an overnight blaze at a high-rise apartment block in West London.

Dozens of fire engines and 200 firefighters were called to the Grenfell Tower in West London on Wednesday morning, as flames gutted the 24-story tower block.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed the six deaths in a statement, saying the number likely to rise.

More than 70 people have been treated at five London hospitals, police added, with 20 in a "critical" condition.

Earlier, London ambulance service said 30 people had been taken to hospital but many were feared dead with one resident telling Sky News that no fire bell sounded in the building.

Witnesses on the scene spotted at least one man trapped in the building.

George Clarke, the presenter of Amazing Spaces told Radio 5 Live he was covered in ash even though he was 100 meters (yards) from the scene.

He said he saw people waving flashlights from the top level of the building and saw rescuers "doing an incredible job" trying to get people out.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

 Agencies contributed to this story.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More