The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
More Yemen deaths likely from Saudi blockade, UN warns Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

More Yemen deaths likely from Saudi blockade, UN warns

The war in Yemen has killed at least 10,000 civilians since 2014. [Getty]

Date of publication: 20 November, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Millions of Yemen civilians face hardship or death from disease and starvation as aid deliveries are stalled following an intensified Saudi-led blockade on the war-ravaged country.

More deaths are likely in Yemen as a Saudi-led blockade stalls aid into the war-torn country, the World Food Programme (WFP) in Yemen said on Monday.

Yemen's air, sea and land borders were sealed by the Saudi-led coalition earlier in November after the kingdom intercepted a Houthi ballistic missile over Riyadh.

Humanitarian organisations decried the latest closures, warning that Yemen would face the largest famine in decades if the blockade continued.

Saudi Arabia said last week that it would reverse the closure in areas not controlled by Houthi rebels.

Stephen Anderson, WFP's country director in Yemen, told AP that the situation in the country is "heart-breaking".

Of a population of 26 million, around 17 million do not know where their next meal is coming from while seven million are totally dependent on food assistance, he said.

On Sunday night, the Saudi military coalition struck the northern province of Jawf killing ten civilians, including two children, security officials said.

The coalition began its war against the Houthis in 2015 in support of the government of President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi.

The war in Yemen has killed at least 10,000 civilians since 2014.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More