The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Saudi Arabia intercepts two Houthi ballistic missiles Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Saudi Arabia intercepts two Houthi ballistic missiles

The missiles were intercepted without any damage [Getty]

Date of publication: 10 August, 2016

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Two ballistic missiles launched by Houthi rebels in Yemen were intercepted by Saudi's air defence on Tuesday morning, the Arab coalition has said.
Two ballistic missiles launched from Yemeni territories were intercepted by Saudi security forces on Wednesday, officials said.

The missiles were headed towards the kingdom’s southern Abha city before it was stopped by Saudi Air Defence Forces, a statement said.

No damage was reported, however Saudi-led coalition forces responded to the rocket attack by targeting launch sites in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled Amran province.

Several missiles have crossed over the tense border where clashes between rebels and Saudi forces continue.

In July, a missile heading towards the kingdom’s Abha city was also stopped by Saudi air defences.

"It was intercepted with no injuries," the coalition confirmed in a statement, adding that the missile launcher was destroyed.

Saudi Arabia deployed Patriot missile batteries to counter tactical ballistic missiles which have been fired occasionally since the conflict began last year.

Tuesday’s incident is understood to be the fifth since the implementation of a ceasefire and UN-brokered peace talks began in Kuwait two months ago.

Despite the Saudi-led military intervention in support of Hadi's government, the rebels and their allies remain in control of swathes of territory including the capital Sanaa.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More