The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Bardo museum attack suspect extradited to Tunisia Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Bardo museum attack suspect extradited to Tunisia

Since its revolution in 2011, Tunisia has faced a series of attacks [Getty]

Date of publication: 24 December, 2016

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Moez Fezzani, suspected of involvement in the Bardo National Museum attack in Tunis, arrived in Tunisia on Friday after being extradited from Sudan.
A man suspected of involvement in the Bardo National Museum attack in Tunis arrived in Tunisia on Friday after being extradited from Sudan, a court official said.

The Islamic State group claimed the attack in 2015 during which two gunmen opened fire at the Bardo, killing 21 foreign tourists and a police officer.

"The Tunisian Moez Fezzani, one of the sponsors of the Bardo terrorist attack" arrived Friday, prosecution spokesman Sofiene Sliti told AFP, adding that the suspect was a high-ranking IS member.

The investigating judge said in November that the enquiry into the attack had been completed and a trial would likely start in 2017.

Since its revolution in 2011, Tunisia has faced a series of attacks that have claimed the lives of more than 100 soldiers and police along with 20 civilians and 59 foreign tourists, according to an official tally.

A month after the Bardo attack, 30 Britons were among 38 foreign holidaymakers killed in a gun and grenade attack on a beach resort near the Tunisian city of Sousse.

That November, a suicide bombing in the capital killed 12 members of the presidential guard.

IS claimed all three attacks.

More than 5,000 Tunisians have travelled abroad to join such groups, namely in Iraq, Syria and Libya.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More