The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Play Video

The New Arab & agencies

Video: Rebels evacuate Homs under Syria ceasefire deal

The first set of evacuees left Waer early on Wednesday [Getty]

Date of publication: 9 December, 2015

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The first stage of rebel withdrawal from Waer - their last stronghold in Syria's central city of Homs - has begun, say officials.

Hundreds of civilians and Syrian rebel forces began evacuating the last neighbourhoods to be held by opposition fighters in the central city of Homs early on Wednesday, under a ceasefire deal with the regime, the provincial governor said.

"The first set of people have left the district of Waer and the second group will leave soon," Talal Barazi told journalists on the edges of the rebel-held area.

 

Barazi said some 700 people - 400 women and children and 300 fighters - would be evacuated from the district on Wednesday, after a deal reached earlier this month between rebel forces and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Just outside the area, an AFP journalist reported that dozens of women and children were quietly boarding at least eight large white buses, as white SUVs belonging to the United Nations waited nearby.

The deal will see some 2,000 rebels and their families leave the besieged neighbourhood of Homs city, once dubbed "the capital of the revolution".

"We are implementing the first stage, which will be complete at the end of next week," Barazi said.

Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group, said about 500 people had already been transported out of the city.

"Eleven buses have left the city, including the first bus of fighters," he told AFP.

He said residents began gathering in the streets at 4:00am (0200GMT), waiting to leave the city.

Buses will head from Homs to the Qalaat al-Madiq area of central Hama province, then onto the northwestern province of Idlib. 

More from Syria today
  - Rebels evacuate Homs under ceasefire deal
- Meeting of minds? Syrian opposition rivals gather in Riyadh
- Foreign fighters to Iraq and Syria 'have doubled'
- Thousands of Syrian refugees stranded on Jordan border
- Syrian civilians reportedly killed in Russian airstrikes [video]
- Critics round on Lebanese cardinal over Syria visit


Idlib province is held by the Army of Conquest rebel alliance, which includes local al-Qaeda franchise the Nusra Front. The alliance is set to send some of its forces to escort the buses, according to Abdel Rahman.

Earlier this month, Barazi said all rebels would leave Waer within two months, in return for the regime lifting its siege of the district and ending military operations there.

Government police - but not troops - will then reenter the area.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More