The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll 'at least 2,177' Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll 'at least 2,177'

Protesters in Iran have demanded further investigations into the deal toll [AFP]

Date of publication: 20 October, 2015

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
An AP investigation has revealed that the death toll in the recent hajj stampede could be far higher than initial estimates.
The crush and stampede that struck the hajj last month in Saudi Arabia killed at least 2,177 pilgrims, according to the Associated Press news agency.

The claim has not been addressed by Riyadh officials, with the official death toll standing at 769 people killed and 934 injured.

The unofficial count has been rising as individual countries identify bodies from the September 24 disaster outside Mecca, and work to determine the whereabouts of hundreds of pilgrims still missing.

The official Saudi toll has not changed since September 26.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdul Aziz, who is also the kingdom's interior minister, oversaw a meeting late on Sunday to discuss the disaster in Mina. The Saudi Press Agency did not, however, mention any official response to the rising death toll.

"The crown prince was reassured on the progress of the investigations," the SPA report said. "He directed the committee's members to continue their efforts to find the causes of the accident, praying to Allah Almighty to accept the martyrs and wishing the injured a speedy recovery."

King Salman ordered the investigation into the disaster, the deadliest in the history of the annual pilgrimage. It came after a crane collapse in Mecca earlier in the month killed 111 worshippers, while the twin disasters marred the first hajj to be overseen by the king since he ascended to the throne at the start of this year.

The Saudi king holds the title of "Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques", and the monarchy's supervision of the hajj is a source of great prestige for Riyadh in the Muslim world.

Riyadh has rejected a suggestion by Iran, its main regional rival, for an independent body to take over planning and administering the five-day hajj pilgrimage, which is required of all able-bodied Muslims once in their lifetimes.
     The crown prince was reassured on the progress of the investigations
- Saudi Press Agency


Iran has repeatedly blamed the disaster on the Saudi royal family, accusing it of mismanagement and of covering up the real death toll, which Tehran claims exceeds 4,700 - though it has yet to provide any evidence to support this.

"The lying and hypocritical bodies, which claim to [be promoting] human rights, as well as the Western governments, which sometimes make great fuss over the death of a single person, remained dead silent in this incident in favour of their allied government," Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Monday, according to a transcript on his website.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are deeply divided over a host of regional issues and back opposite sides in the wars in Syria and Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been at war with Iran-backed Shia rebels, known as Houthis, since March.

Saudi Arabia has meanwhile been targeted in gun and bomb attacks by an affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group, which holds a third of Iraq and Syria in its self-declared "caliphate." Like al-Qaeda before it, the IS group views the Saudi royal family as illegitimate because of alleged corruption and its alliance with the United States.

The AP count of the dead from the Mina crush and stampede comes from state media reports and officials' comments from 30 of the more than 180 countries that sent citizens to the hajj.

Iran leads all the affected countries, saying it had 465 pilgrims killed. Many of the dead also came from Africa. Mali said it lost 254 people, while Nigeria lost 199, Cameroon lost 76, Niger lost 72, Senegal lost 61, and Ivory Coast and Benin both lost 52.

Others include Egypt with 182, Bangladesh with 137, Indonesia with 126, India with 116, Pakistan with 102, Ethiopia with 47, Chad with 43, Morocco with 36, Algeria with 33, Sudan with 30, Burkina Faso with 22, Tanzania with 20, Somalia with 10, Kenya with eight, Ghana and Turkey with seven each, Myanmar and Libya with six, China with four, Afghanistan with two and Jordan and Malaysia with one each.

The previous deadliest-ever incident at hajj was a 1990 stampede that killed 1,426 people.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More